Sunday, January 20, 2008

Colour My World

Colours have been very prevalent recently. On Tuesday Fern, Katrina and I got together to dye wool using acid dyes and today I was over at Val and Chuck's for a dyeing session using fibre reactive cotton dyes.

This is some merino top Katrina dyed red and black in the steamer.


We get a lot of use from this electric frying pan. Here is some more merino top with chartreuse and fuchsia.
I threw some of Kirby's fleece into a pot on the stove with fuchsia and violet.There seemed to be some colour left in the dye bath after the first batch came out so I threw the rest in which ended up to be more muted.
I have put some pictures up on Flickr of the carded batts I made with these two batches of fleece. It turned out to be really pretty. I put sparkles and angora in too as I carded it.

Here is the fabric from this afternoon rinsing in the sink. Val used an interesting technique called Parfait from Ann Johnston's Color by Accident book. The fabric looks really cool.I thought I'd try some of the Soy Silk that Fern and I have. It came from Fibreworks, which you can check out here.http://www.gunboatbaylodge.com/fibreworks.html

This is what the 3 different batches of soysilk looked like while they were rinsing.


Well that's enough pics for now. The rest will be on Flickr if you want to take a look. There'll be sheep pics too !

No comments: