Monday, October 20, 2008

The Wonders of Weaving

Look what I've been doing for the last 4 days.

We were lucky enough to have Jane Stafford come over from Salt Spring to teach us a 3 day weaving course called Lacey Places,

You can find out more about Jane here,

.......but there's more,

We got an extra bonus day of her great course, Honing your weaving skills.

Of course as a novice weaver my weaving skills will take a lot of honing, hah hah !!

but Jane is a fantastic teacher and I came away from the 4 days with all these lovely samples that I WOVE !

Plus an amazing amount of knowledge and some of Jane's passion for weaving that she shared with us.

So much so that this is what I did today !

The old work horse is up and functional. I bought some cord and just have to make new ties for the treadles but other than that she's ready to go.

She bears a lot of scars but came by them honestly as she has been around since 1944 and has woven many items through the years. I am very proud to be the owner of this LeClerc Mira loom which is a piece of Canadian history and tradition. The original owner, (I am it's second owner), bought it through a program where the Searle Grain Company traveled through the prairies during the 1940's and provided weaving instruction and equipment for the women in rural communities.

BTW there are more pics on flickr of the individual samples and the rabbits are still not talking to each other.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice weaving and great looking loom! I took a workshop from Jane in September... WONDERFUL! (Twills for me). Such a great time. If yours was anything like mine, it must have been good. I've since bought myself a Mira(?) as well... from the 70's, though, I think.
Sarah / sarsbar

Fran said...

Thanks for your kind words Sarah! I'm glad you enjoyed the Twills workshop. Did you do it in Victoria or go to her studio on Salt Spring. I'm really hoping to do more of Jane's workshops but in the meantime I have to get a bit more weaving under my belt. Do you have your loom up and have you woven anything on it yet ?